Credit: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
November 12, 2001 -- Rousing, patriotic songs played by the University
of Utah Marching Band and Army ROTC presented a fitting kick-off
for the Nov. 10th re-dedication of the Post Bandstand, which is
the latest chapter in a storied history for this structure built
Thanks to the generosity of long-time U of U supporters Allan
M. and Kay W. Lipman and Clark P. and Nancy L. Giles, the University
restored the bandstand to its pristine Victorian Gothic architecture
as part of its master plan to renovate the entire Fort Douglas
complex. The National Trust for Historic Preservation recently
honored the University for this effort with the 2001 National
Preservation Honor Award.
To celebrate this historic occasion, U of U President J. Bernard
"Bernie" Machen and the Lipmans and Giles took part
in a ceremony, along with Brigadier General Stanley J. Gordon,
with the Utah Army National Guard; Rob White; Trustee on the National
Trust for Historic Preservation Board; John G. Francis, University
professor of political science; and Marian Anderson, a University
student and resident of Heritage Commons at Fort Douglas. The
ceremony concluded with a ribbon cutting and a salute to the donors,
followed by the Retrieval of the Colors.
During the heyday of the Post Bandstand, Fort Douglas was an important
Army supply center as a result of the coming of the transcontinental
railroad in 1869. The original Victorian Gothic octagon bandstand
was destroyed by fire and rebuilt in 1912 with a classical, less
ornamental look (and without the portico). Now meticulously restored,
the bandstand once again boasts its distinctive Gothic Revival
elements, including finials, octagon cupola, and gabled portico.
The Post Bandstand was a popular place among the first settlers
of Salt Lake City. Many
attended concerts there, which were traditionally performed by
regimental bands on Sunday afternoons. Some of the bands that
entertained there included the 24th (Buffalo Soldier) and 38th
(Rock of the Marne) infantries, stationed at Fort Douglas. One
of the more famous conductors to lead the military bands at the
Post Bandstand was the 38th's Leopold Antone Yost (1888-1951),
Chief Warrant Officer, who is buried in the fort cemetery.
The newly renovated bandstand promises to once again be a focal
point for student events, concerts and entertainment, and will
be a gathering place for the 3,500 athletes and coaches who will
be living at Heritage Commons (Athletes Village) during the 2002
Olympic Winter Games.
The bandstand is the first structure in the Fort Douglas renovation
project to be re-dedicated. The entire renovation project includes
26 historic buildings, including the bandstand, the chapel, the
theatre and Officers' Circle.